- TO DISCOVER IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM POST-ABORTION SYNDROME (PAS)
- Do you find yourself struggling to turn off feelings connected to your abortion(s), perhaps telling yourself over and over again to forget about it?
- Are you affected by physical reminders of your abortion(s), i.e., babies, pregnant women, baby clothes? Are you uncomfortable around children?
- Are there certain times of the year when you find yourself depressed, sick or accident prone, such as the anniversary date of the abortion or the month of the would-be birth date?
- Are you in a situation where you find yourself faced with another "unwanted" pregnancy?
- Have you experienced a substantial increase in drug or alcohol use or any self-destructive behaviours (e.g., eating disorders, abusive relationships, increased sexual activity)?
- Have you experienced periods of prolonged depression? Have you ever had any suicidal thoughts since your abortion?
- Have you experienced any peculiar reactions, i.e., nightmares, flashbacks, or hallucinations (such as hearing a baby cry) relating to the abortion experience?
- Are you able to talk about abortion? When choosing to share about your abortion, are you overcome with strong feelings?
- If you do not have any children, do you feel that you will never be able to have them?
- Do you tend to look at your life in terms of 'before' and 'after' the abortion? Has your self esteem changed?
"The denial or suppression blocks the healing process and the possibility of forgiveness for herself and others. The trauma often manifests itself as a breakdown of function in the psychological, physical or spiritual areas."
J Denton Collins, M.A., M.F.C.C. MK 19363.
Read more about Post Abortion Syndrome here
Used with permission Victims of Choice Inc